Friday 23 March 2012

So I learned about haikus after I started writing them.

Note: 2 out of 3 of these links are absolutely vile and intellectually subhuman. Mom, don't get ticked at me.

So I read this incredibly informative article on the philosophy behind haikus. And I realized I've been doing  it all wrong, as most of us WASPish public school kids who think any 5-7-5 poem automatically equals what is the ancient and developed Japanese art of contemplative description called 'haiku.' Hmm, a cross-culture miscommunication. Imagine that. Anyhow, I've already been attempting to think and reflect based on these concepts, and so my future haikus will hopefully represent that better than these last two remnants of my ignorant ambition do.


Kevin quit school
Chico sleeps and smokes ganja
Tyrone might make it.
---------------------- 
The dark comes quickly
Sun sinks behind still islands -
I, at rest, at last

The first one is about the young black native community here on the island, and probably back in the States too, from what I understand. Obviously, there are many factors as to why this demographic is struggling in various aspects (ie. lack of father figures/positive male role models, education not being a value, radio rap, etc.), and this poem just reflects on the sad state. It also notes that there are always individuals that can overcome and rise above, finding success (note: constructive, not necessarily Christian however) through hard work, ambition, education, and long-term goals. I see so much potential in Tyrone, and pray for him often.

The second one is about how awesome it is to finish working for the day, and that being in a beautiful environment makes it that much more rich. You settle as the day does; its a neat unity.
---------------
I penned this one in my head as I walked across the street from my apartment to use the free public wifi.

Blaring bar music
The smell of evening marijuana - 
So this is island life.

(This post is dedicated to Alysius, who is graduating college this year with a degree in electrical engineering, Jason Horn, who has been trying to change the lives of kids at Lifeline, and the Tap Room, for having free wifi...for 45 minutes. This post is not dedicated to work, Waka Flocka Flame - watch it at 2:44, and every English teacher who misinformed me about haikus. Its like a literature conspiracy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment